My sister first made this salad for a baby shower we hosted a few years ago and it was so delicious it has been making an appearance regularly ever since. It pops with bright flavors thanks to the mélange of fresh herbs, satisfies with different flavors and textures and fits for many dietary needs (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan). Feel free to use another type of rice (wild rice, brown rice, or even quinoa, Israeli couscous, etc).
- One head of cauliflower
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup toasted, slivered almonds
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 large handful Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- 1 handful mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice from medium-sized lemon
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Squeeze of honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450; cut cauliflower into bite sized florets and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 35-40 tossing half way through, until golden brown. Let cool.
- Prepare the rice; let cool.
- To prepare the dressing whisk all ingredients together; adjust to taste.
- Combine the cooled cauliflower, rice, golden raisins, almonds, green onions, and herbs in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir gently to coat.